Wednesday, May 30, 2007

cucumber plants

cuke packs cukes in a row
I planted cucumber seeds on May 9th, but none sprouted. I couldn't even find any of the seeds in the soil. So I bought two 6-packs of plants - Slicemaster and pickling cukes. I planted these today under the trellis.

I also put some seeds of striped Armenian cucumbers into a little 6-pack with potting soil. This is one of the varieties that didn't sprout. I'll keep this in a nice warm location and see if I can get a few seedlings.

I planted two types of cucumber seeds in early May, Diva and striped Armenian. I put them at the back of bed #5, the coldest and shadiest area of the garden. Probably not a good choice of location for cukes, since the soil needs to be nice and warm for them to sprout. I think I'll put the lettuce in this bed next year.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning! I just wanted to let you know that I check out your site every day to see how your garden is doing (and see if mine is behind). Love your site! I am also in zone 6, south west of Boston and until I found your site, I never would have thought to plant Peas mid-April. (I grew up in NH and couldn't start gardening that early.) BTW; my peas are over 3' tall already! Thanks for posting daily photos!

kathy said...

Wow, 3ft peas! Mine are about half of that now. Thanks for your note! I'm on my was out to the garden now....

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Hallo. I hope you have better luck with yuor cukes! I have stopped growing them because they always end up miserable...like....dead.
:-(
Have a really nice day/Tyra

Anonymous said...

But they look so pretty!

Kathy said...

You know, none of the cucumbers I planted sprouted, either. I started a few inside and they're coming up just fine, so I don't know what happened. Can't wait to get them planted (too hot right now, though).

kathy said...

Last year, the cucumbers were my best crop. I'd hate to skip the cuke crop. The new little plants seem to be doing good. I hope they grow up OK. Its such a cold and shady location. Once they get a foot tall they'll reach the sunshine.