Monday, June 18, 2007

garden bugs

yellow fly on phlox hopper on soy
green fly on chili peppers long legs on iris
wasp green hopper on arugula flower
I've been trying to find some bees in my garden. I'm sad not to be able to find any after a week of watching. Here are the bugs I have found. I think the closest to a bee is the wasp. From top left: yellow fly on phlox, hopper on soy, green fly on chili peppers, long legs on iris, wasp, green hopper on arugula flower. If get around to submitting the photos to BugGuide I'll add accurate IDs here later. The bugs I didn't show here are all the black aphids enjoying themselves on my favas and a few green ones on my lettuce.

4 comments:

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Beautiful pictures, the compositions are great.

Ki said...

Great selection of bugs. I want to photograph some bugs too but don't seem to have the time right now so I'll enjoy yours. I love the color of blue and red leafhopper. I've seen them around but didn't have my camera handy.

I see a fruit fly with a distinctive spot on each wing. The fly rotates the wings independently of each other like semaphores. I don't know what it is doing but maybe it is signaling/attracting other fruit flies? I'll try to take a picture.

Chris Kreussling (Flatbush Gardener) said...

Very pretty. I'm hoping to get out with my new macro lens tomorrow and see what I can find.

kathy said...

I noticed you have a nice new macro lens Kris. I enjoyed your first photos earlier this week. Especially the alstromeria (sp?).

I also have a long focal length with my lens, which is a wide angle/macro zoom. A single lens that does pretty well at all uses. I end up at full zoom at least 12 inches away from the object I'm shotting. Usually I need to crop a fair amount.