Tuesday, September 11, 2007

juicy sweet watermelon

watermelon
This melon was grown by Belmont CSA. A beautiful dark green round fruit that I bought last week at the Farmer's Market. It tastes as good as it looks. Sweet and juicy. I didn't ask the variety, but it looks like an heirloom Sugar Baby Watermelon. I saved all of the seeds and am looking forward to a nice patch of these in my garden next year!

Watermelon (Citrullus lanatus (Thunb.) Matsum & Nakai, family Cucurbitaceae)

CSA (Community Supported Agriculture)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there. It isn't the 11th yet here, so the watermelon, beautifully photographed, has a bright future, seeds or not.

Alice, a close friend of mine, introduced me to your site a few weeks ago and I wanted to let you know how much fun it is to follow the news of your garden and the exploits of Skippy. You have done so much in your modest space. Here in northern California, where the weather is always wonderful, I can't compete with the productivity of your garden space. Surely, I have much to learn. Thanks for hosting this site. The photography is gorgeous and your anecdotes are fun to read. Best wishes from Palo Alto.

A fan.

kathy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! And say hi to my sister Alice for me.

I must be crazy to have such fun growing and taking photos of vegetables! It's nice that other people like to look at them too.

The good news from New England today is that we FINALLY got some rain. About an inch of it. I'm sure my plants are happy tonight.