Sunday, November 25, 2007

winter root veggies

winter root veges
On of my favorite vegetable combinations for this time of year. Its a mix of carrots, parsnips and beets. I wrap the beets in foil and bake at 375 for an hour, then peel and slice the next day. Boil sliced carrots 8 minutes, adding sliced parsnips for the last 5 minutes. Then mix everything in a baking dish with herbs and olive oil and bake for a bit. Good additions are potatoes, celeriac and onions. I have a rutabaga in the fridge I will try soon too. I also like to turn it into eggs and hash for breakfast. Yumm!!!

beets (Beta vulgaris)
potatoes (Solanum tuberosum)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite winter garden treats too.

You go to a lot more work than me. I just chop everything up raw (and peel if necessary), mix it together with some olive oil and pressed or whole garlic and bake until everything is cooked. Maybe add some fresh rosemary, and eat.

I like the idea of eggs and hash for breakfast!

Connie said...

Those look delicious! I love roasted veggies of any kind.