Saturday, December 08, 2007

Belmont CSA mid-winter veggies

Its getting pretty cold for northern vegetable gardens. But, even under several inches of snow, there are veggies growing. Skippy and I took a walk over to the Belmont CSA garden, a mile from our house and grown by Gretta Anderson.
broccoli head
I wish I had such beautiful vegetables. She has very nice heads of broccoli - probably her second harvest of this row. I planted mine too late this year and will remember that next year. This broccoli hardly seems to notice the snow.

I'm not sure what's under the row covers. Any guesses? Escarole? Along with several long rows of broccolis and the covered mystery crop, Gretta also has a several nice long rows of a purple kale (winterbor, the hardiest variety). When I took this photo, she had just harvested this crop for a winter share distribution.

row covers brocolli row
field
A gaggle of Canada geese were out in the front garden, where a cover crop was growing in a corn field. They saw Skippy from a distance and, with much commotion, took to wing. Skippy's reputation precedes him among the local water fowl. I guess they didn't notice I had him on a short leash.

kale geese 1
It was a lovely, warm winter day today. A clear blue sky. Its unusual for us to have snow so early in December. It makes it feel festive - like an early Christmas.

CSA (Community Supported Agriculture)

2 comments:

Matron said...

I just love broccoli, I've never managed to grow some this early in the season, I'll have to wait till Spring! Hope skippy enjoyed the walk in the snow.

Michael said...

hah! my brassica are only just now starting to produce enough to harvest... on the plus side, here in fla you can grow rabe, pak choi, & collards until at least late april!