Tuesday, January 01, 2008

capucijners

Happy New Year!

Usually I make a Dutch treat called "olebollen" (similar to apple fritters) on New's Years Eve. Because of my travels, I was too tired for that this year. Instead I am cooking my Capucijner peas.

I asked my aunt about how she remembers cooking these peas. She said she remembers eating them often while growing up in Holland. Usually as a pile of peas on the plate with salad and meat. She liked mixing them with the salad. She also said these peas have a different taste that not everyone likes. I am wondering if we will like the taste.

So, rather than making a soup, I am cooking my very small first harvest of Capucijners as with bacon as a "pile of peas". Today I boiled them and I am now letting them soak in water overnight. They plumped up nicely and smelled very tasty - rich and earthy - while cooking. Tomorrow, we will have them with our dinner.

Cheers! And best wishes for the new year.

Pisum sativum

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be sure to save the cooking water, that's one of the best parts! Also you should cook them in as little water as possible, so the flavor doesn't get lost.

They are called soup peas, but mostly because they are dried first then cooked. I don't think anyone really makes true soup out of them.

It's true, not everyone likes the taste of capucijners. Most Dutch people do. I think if you like the taste of peas, you will like them. More than anything else, they are very pea-like.

I've really enjoyed all the posts from your vacation! I loved reading about the avocado flowers, and all the fruits looks and sound delicious.

Best wishes for the new year.

hoop netting said...

This is very informative. thanks

pharmacy said...

Wow time is passing so fast, we are already approaching 2012, when I'm only recovering from the new years of 2011 party.