Tuesday, February 26, 2008

gardening books

Earlier this winter I had a surprise email from a publisher. It turns out I sold my first photograph. (Yeahh!!!!) The publisher found the photo at my Flickr site. I'm not even sure what photo it is but it shows plants mulched with salt marsh hay. The photo is now in a paperback book titled "Complete Guide to Perennials (Miracle Gro)".

Since I'd like to see my picture, I'm ordering a copy. I'd also like to order another gardening book. What's the best gardening book? (Ordering gardening books seems like a nice wintertime "gardening" activity).

The best selling "gardening" book on Amazon is "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle". I've already read that - I didn't really need a lecture about why to grow my own food - I'd prefer a nice how-to book.

So my picks were "The Vegetable Gardener's Bible" by Edward Smith. Also "Great Garden Companions: A Companion-Planting System for a Beautiful, Chemical-Free Vegetable Garden" by Sally Jean Cunningham. I'm looking forward to reading these. Are there any great gardening books I'm missing?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE, LOVE "The Vegetable Gardener's Bible"!!!! Get that one! Although I don't refer to it as much now, it was invaluable to me when I was putting in my first vegetable garden (which was summer, '05). However, I think even experienced gardener's would really like it.

lilymarlene said...

Can I put in a plug for Charles Dowding's "Organic Gardening the Natural No-Dig Way". (Green Books. £10.95)
He tells you how to grow individual vegetables organically, and how to plant your beds so they are never empty. The scheme is to start the next crop off in pots before the first one has finished, and he gives you time frames that work. It is a really good read and has revolutionised my veg gardening.

kathy said...

Sounds great! Thanks for the comments. I'm waiting to place my order to see suggestions here. I like the idea of keeping the beds always full.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Yea for you getting a picture published! I think that would be SO COOL!

OldRoses said...

Big congrats on having your photo published! Maybe this will turn into a new career for you.

kathy said...

It pays alot better than my ads, but I'm still keeping my day job.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

You've chosen two great books. I have several vegetable gardening books, and those two are the ones I use the most. The only thing I don't follow from The Vegetable Gardener's Bible is the double-digging advice, but otherwise I think it's great. I think you'll like them both.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I absolutely loved reading Sally Jean Cunningham's book. I've based so much of my companion planting on her suggestions. And the WORD method--you just can't beat it! Ed's got some great info in there about raised-bed basics. Great choices! I absolutely LOVE your blog.

Anonymous said...

Good collection of gardening books with many coupons are available at Reader's Digest store.....!