Sunday, May 18, 2008

its tomato and squash planting week!

This looks like a good week to transplant my tomato seedlings. Also my squashes, pumpkins and cukes. The temperature is staying sort of warm - about 50 F at night and up near 70 on sunny days. I've seen nearby gardens with tomatoes and squash already planted. I think its time to set mine out.

I have some fancy thermal plastic this year. Its from Johnny's and lets near IR through, but not visible light. This is supposed to warm up the soil well. I'll try this under my tomatoes in both my community plot and at home.

My plan is to plant half of my tomatoes in my home garden and half in my much sunnier community plot. I'll see what does better where. It can be an experiment. I have 10 varieties, 24 total plants, both heirlooms and hybrids.

As for squashes, the ornamentals (gourds and pumpkins) will go in my bed along the house and the edibles (summer squash, winter squash and cucumbers) will go to the community plot.

I was very lucky to find a gardener who would like to help plant on Thursday! So I'll have extra hands and we can set plants out in my community plot. I think Wednesday will be a good day for transplanting in my home garden.

Wednesday also my parents will stop by and pick up their plants. I have about 50 or more seedlings ready for them. Tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, chiles, squashes, etc. I've gotten very fond of my little sprouts after tending them for the past two months. I'm glad they will go to a good home!

Cucurbita pepo (squash)

chile and bell peppers (Capsicum)
tomatoes (Solanum lycopersicum)

4 comments:

Silli said...

I missed tending my sprouts too, after I set them out, and had to plant some more seeds!

Anonymous said...

I put most of my tomatoes and peppers in today and tomorrow I plan to get the cucumbers and zucchinis squared away. It's a little cooler than normal here, but well past fear of frost. It's lovely that you've found a gardener to help you plant. My husband confessed today that it's all a chore to him which made me feel bad, but he swears he doesn't mind helping me -- I just wished he enjoyed it as much as I do! Thanks for showing the saucer/birdbath. I'm still trying to decide what I want to do and that might work while I come up with a more permanent solution.

Daphne Gould said...

Wow 24 tomatoes is a lot. I couldn't imagine eating all of those, but it would be fun trying! I've only planted 5.

As to transplants, I must be strange. I'm always relieved when they go out to the garden and I no longer have to truck them in and out, morning and evening.

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of toms! But I suppose it's all about perspective. I live in an apartment and actually grow most of my vegetables in containers at work. I was happy that after numerous failed attempts I got two each of some toms and peppers from seed to sprout.