Monday, August 25, 2008

weekend potato harvest

potatoes in a box
With a bit of help from my 15 year old son, I harvested a nice box full of potatoes on Saturday. I suppose if we were a bit more careful we wouldn't have pierced so many of them with the digging fork. We did our best.

I have mostly white fingerling potatoes, but also some big Russets and reds. They are delicious now - crisp new potatoes. I'll hang these in a paper bag from the rafters in the basement. I think they will last us a few months. A good harvest. Next year, I'd like to grow a few more large Russets. They are delicious.

potatoes (Solanum tuberosum)
harvests from my vegetable gardens

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, I love fingerling potatoes, I can't even begin to imagine what they taste like fresh from the garden. I may have to try growing them next summer.

kathy said...

They are yummy. I really like having a lot of different kinds of potatoes. They're all good.