Sunday, November 23, 2008

garden is frozen

frozen lettuce

Well, my garden plot is through for the year. Everything frozen solid. All the vegetables are gone. We've had a week of weather with highs in the 20's, lows who knows where out in the open field. Down under the mulch, there is a bit still alive, but unless there's a serious warming trend, that won't last long. This past week has been unusually cold for us.

I just told my sister I had all sorts of vegetables to bring for Thanksgiving. Well, I have none from the garden now. :( I do have a some storage veggies in the house. We won't go hungry.

My sister lives in Tempe Arizona and I am looking forward to a quick visit to the desert southwest. It will be exciting to have a change from the drab NE scenery and nice to see family.

3 comments:

Susie said...

You went a long way past the season! Great job:-)

Jessica said...

We froze too, in Southern Maryland. It has been such a cold Autumn. I do have some lettuce under a cover, but I don't know how much longer it will last.

It is sad to see this year officially end but at the same time, I am looking forward to starting over next spring.

You had a great year!!

Kateri said...

A hard freeze came early this year, didn't it? Here in MI I can usually count on a variety of greens from the garden until early December. Now there is nothing left but some kale and spinach (which I have to get harvested before it is no good!)