Monday, July 20, 2009

pea green

peas and pod

I picked a big handful of peas yesterday. A very small yeild for my big patch and big hopes. But, still a very pretty bowl of green.

(I think my main problem with the peas this year was slugs and lack of sun. I would have thought the cool wet weather would have been perfect. I planted more two weeks ago and these are growing great. Much better than my spring germination and growth rates. They are in a very shaded part of the garden so they may do best here in mid summer.)

The peas topped off a yummy paella my husband made in his new paella grill. Can't beat it!

the paella chef and his sidekick
paella with peas bowl of shelled peas

15 comments:

Sheila said...

They look yummy!

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

It looks so delicious! Yum yum

Ellie Mae's Cottage said...

Looks so mouth watering! I just pulled out my pea plants last weekend. They were done for the season. I had a low yield too. I agree I think it was due to so little sun and too much rain. But, the small harvest I did have was very sweet. -Jackie

Chef Phil and Malinda said...

I had a good yeild on my peas planted yellow and blue peas; i just pulled the plants and planted more. I so enjoy your blog and photos!!

Katrien said...

Look at Skippy in that picture, licking his lips already!

Toni said...

Love that photo of your peas!!! Should be framed and hung in your kitchen!

What a nice outside kitchen you have!!!

Tiffany said...

I too had a smaller yeild than expected, but the one I did get where very good. Maybe next year I will try out some innoculent. BTW your peas look great!

kathy said...

I think Skippy is actually wiping his nose, but cute anyway...

Matron said...

Skippy is licking his lips!! I hope you gave him his fair share of paella.

Anonymous said...

how lovely to be able to cook outside

Kirstin said...

That looks yummy, so does your outdoor cooking area

Dan said...

I've always wanted to get a paella pan! Skippy looks like he is ready for dinner.

Dawnie (CT) said...

I had planted Green Arrow, Sugar Ann and Super Sugar Snap. None of them did very well; barely got anything! Last year, too, with the Super Sugar Snap. I guess I'll try again and sow more seed.

alice said...

Hi Chef! I could use some of your great food/cooking. I like the way Skippy is licking his lips...yummm.

kathy said...

Dawnie, try inoculant. I find it really improves the pea harvest. I forgot to order it in 2009 and will remember this year.