Saturday, January 23, 2010

pear buds - is anyone home?

pear branch

I'm looking closely for even a little sign of life on the espaliered pear trees at my plot. Nothing yet. They're still hibernating. Not like the pussy willows that are opening already.

I have two pear trees at my plot. A Bartlett and a Parker. The Bartlett leafed out well last year, but there was no sign of life on the Parker other than a couple branches that didn't look quite dead. It was their first summer at the plot after transplanting the previous fall. I'm interested to see what happens this summer.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our pear trees in East Boston haven't started to bud yet. I'm watching carefully!

kathy said...

Last spring I watched impatiently too and they bud out very last as I remember. Maybe not til May? I should be patient.

LoveMeKnot Creations said...

I supposedly (per my landlord) have a pear tree in the backyard, but I didn't see any fruit on it when we moved in last July to now. I'm hoping it'll produce this year :)knidy

kathy said...

So I hear that pear fruits are less prone to insect problems than apples (my apples get apple maggots - yuck). But the pears do need to be protected from the squirrels who will take one bit out of each. I'm looking forward to bagging my pears (if I get any) with paper bags or knee hi stockings. (Bags/stockings protect against the apple maggots too.)

Anonymous said...

I thought you needed 2 pear trees in order for them to produce fruit. Also, did you espalier your tree yourself?

kathy said...

Yes, pears need two trees for cross pollination. I'm hoping there maybe another tree nearby. But if my second tree doesn't show signs of life this spring, I'll replace it.

One of my trees was already espaliered when I bought it (the Bartlett that is doing well now). The other I did myself (the Parker). The professionally done one looks MUCH better. I will look for another that is already espaliered if I need to replace my Parker pear.