Tuesday, March 16, 2010

gift for a friend

gift 011
This is a beautiful book that I was given to review. It has wonderful pictures and seems perfect for my friend and her very young girls who are budding gardeners. I also gave them broccoli and pea seeds, since broccoli is their favorite vegetable. They are container gardeners with a rooftop patio, so I'm interested to see how these will do for them. Its time to plant both now!

The Family Kitchen Garden: How to Plant, Grow, and Cook Together (link)
By Karen Liebreich, Jutta Wagner, and Annette Wendland
(Review copy from Timber Press)

3 comments:

Marian(LondonUK) said...

Looks great, wondering if my groaning book shelf can take another vegetable growing or cookbook?? May just squeeze in.
Thanks for telling us about it.
Marian (LondonUK)

Cantor Craziness said...

I will have to borrow that book from the Library next week! Can you give me any hints on Broccoli, this will be my 3rd attempt at Broccoli...Last year the plants got big but I never got any broccoli heads! I LOVE broccoli and am so frustrated I can't grow it!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

kathy said...

Let's see - broccoli. This will be my third year growing broccoli. It will tend to "button", make little heads, if it gets too warm when the heads are forming. Because of this, it often makes a better fall crop. It doesn't do very well in the south I think.

Last year I got big heads all season I think because it was such a cool summer here.

Good luck!