Wednesday, March 17, 2010

honey bee on crocus

bee on crocus 041

Here's a sight I've never seen before. A honeybee on St Patrick's Day! I think this is a sign of a good season coming :)

Honeybees usually don't show up in my yard 'til late June (post). But here it is only March! - not even Spring yet - and a beautiful honeybee as fat as can bee is loaded down with crocus pollen. Maybe he's from Joan's hives, which are up on her second story deck a couple blocks from me. I'm so glad they've made it through the winter.

Joan had concerns last year year that her bees would not survive the winter, since last summer was so rainy and cool and the bees stored very little honey.

Joan is going to set up a honey CSA in Belmont this year, hopefully near the community gardens to help with pollination there. The hive locations have not been set yet. It's a lengthy procedure to go through the committees and approvals needed.

My husband spotted this article in today's Boston Globe: New York city has approved beekeeping! Awesome! Its the thing to do now that Michelle has a hive on the South Lawn...

12 comments:

kaiwat said...

I just posted about this today, too! (http://watsourced.blogspot.com/2010/03/could-it-bee.html) What's up with the early bees? I'm in Oklahoma, and while it is probably warmer here earlier, it's still close to freezing at night. Maybe this will be an extra "fruitful" year for gardeners!

Kathy M said...

A beautiful and incredible picture! Mother Nature is grand.

Marian(LondonUK) said...

Beautiful shot. On Tuesday we remarked on a couple of big old Bumble Bees investigating the Workshop hanging baskets. I love Spring, new growth and new life on our fantastic planet.
Marian (LondonUK)

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

That is an awesome photo!

Kelly said...

That makes me nervous for the hive! I hope they don't get caught out in the cold by surprise.

Anonymous said...

She's beautiful!

Dan said...

Lovely Shot!

Susie said...

I am enjoying every minute because this weekend...the 4-letter word snow is coming back:-(

kathy said...

Don't say that word.... I hope we don't have any more! Yours will melt fast.

Unknown said...

Oh my, after a really busy week at work I am glad to see that there are others out there slaving away too. Really great photo!! Screams SPRING.

Chiot's Run said...

I noticed some of our ladies on my crocuses as well (I only have 2 thanks to chipmunks).

http://chiotsrun.com/2010/03/18/the-first-bloom-of-the-season/

I don't know if this is a good sign, we're not even close to winter being over here in NE Ohio, we'll still have snow in March and often April.

Isla Pergola said...

Considering how important honey bees are for the whole planet, it is great that they are getting to work early. That is also a spectacular picture!