Saturday, June 19, 2010

broccoli

broccoli
broccoli (2) coldframe broccoli

I've had several gardeners come by and thank me for weed whacking the community garden paths today. One gardener also commented on my broccoli, which is fantastic this year (variety Blue Wind). I have two patches of broccoli: one at my community plot, the other in my cold frame at home. The gardener said she also has a broccoli that's doing well. Hers is a perennial purple broccoli. Wow that sounds great! She said it overwinters and grows heads every year. And she said she will drop off a few seeds in my garden mailbox. I'm looking forward to this new variety. Sounds great!

10 comments:

meemsnyc said...

A purple broccoli! How awesome! I didn't know they had those. Your broccoli plant looks amazing!

Seana said...

Your broccoli looks wonderful :)

And yes, purple broccoli does sound great!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'd love to know more about that broccoli, like the variety name.... I would love to try that here....
Ali in Maine

Taylor said...

Perennial Broccoli?! I never knew such a thing even existed! Sounds awesome- the idea of perennial veggies is wonderful to me. Did she know what it is called? I'd love to get my hands on some.

Debbie said...

Sounds great, but what about crop rotation and if there are any problems? I too would be interested in the variety.

Wim Jacobs said...

The purple broccolli is the real broccolli (overwintering and becoming a huge plant). The real name of what we commonly name broccolli is in effect Calabrese. Monty Don of Gardener's World (UK) has written a nice article about how to grow the purple broccolli and the differences with the Calabrese.

Wim from Belgium

Unknown said...

where could one find start looking for seeds for such a thing?

kathy said...

Thanks Wim!

I will post when I find out more about this.

Maybe these are seed sources?
Hume Seeds
Reimer Seeds
I just googled purple sprouting broccoli to find these. I couldn't find Monty Don's article.

Toni said...

Wow... it overwintered? FANTASTIC!!!

Would love to see a picture of it!

Garden broccoli tastes so good! Way better than store bought!

Wim Jacobs said...

For growing purple sprouting broccolli check out this URL: http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/home-grown-purple-sprouting-broccoli-282
Success, Wim from Belgium