Saturday, October 23, 2010

what birds are these?

bird 2
bluebird on  branch bluebird on rock

These are bird photos from Skippy's and my walk on Friday. A beautiful cool fall day. We walked through the open land on a sunny hill in Belmont. The birds were very active, but I only got photos of a few. I know the bluebirds. There was a group of about 3 or 5 of them. Can anyone help me identify the others?

bird field
bird 1 bird 4
bird 5

.....click on the "birds" label below to see more of my bird posts.....

3 comments:

Randy Emmitt said...

Kathy,
Likely Eastern Phoebe. Did you notice the tail bobing? This late in the year there Phoebe is what it has to be.

meemsnyc said...

Pretty birds. I have no clue though what type they are.

kathy said...

Thanks Randy.

Phoebe sounds right. I was thinking Least flycatcher But no eye ring, slight band at the eye, bill one color. I did not notice tail bobbing but will look for this next time. They were the same size as the bluebirds and seemed to get along well with them. They were both playing (?) (more likely foraging) on the bright sunny warm rocks in the middle of the open field.

I thought at first glance that they were juncos that had arrived already. Not. I suppose these and the bluebirds will head southward soon.

We have a great variety of migratory ducks on the big pond (Fresh Pond in Cambridge) now. Four or more varieties. They usually stay here a few weeks. I think I'll bring my zoom lens and walk Skippy there this afternoon.