Tuesday, January 25, 2011

clean trays ready for planting

cleaned seed trays

I don't think plant trays are in the stores yet so I washed a few of the trays I used last year. I scrubbed them briefly, then rinsed them in dilute bleach (about 1:9).

I am making some seed mixes now. Since I have picked out about 20 varieties of lettuce and endive that I want to plant soon, but its still early too plant too much, I think a mix will work well. I'll plant:

1 6-pack mixed endive
1 6-pack mixed lettuce
1/2 6-pack purple sprouting perennial broccoli
1/2 6-pack leeks
1/2 6-pack Ailsa Craig yellow onions
1/2 6-pack Frontier yellow onions

10 comments:

Marian(LondonUK) said...

That looks like my draining board a few weeks ago. I feel a real geek saying this, but it's exciting thinking of seeds and plants, plus it is getting lighter and that cheers everyone up too!
Marian (London UK)

Vasi Dubreu said...

20 varieties, ouch, I put three varieties and I said that is enough.
I think, to us, does not exist so many varieties.
I wait to take pictures.

Green Zebra Market Garden said...

You can find them at a few stores already in my area. I swear that stores are putting our their seed displays earlier and earlier each year...which is great!

Goneferalinidaho said...

I'm getting ready to bust out the trays this weekend.

biobabbler said...

Inspiring industry, as ever! =) Thanks for the heads up: spring, she is a comin'! Hooray!

meemsnyc said...

Looks like you are ready to go!

kim whilhelm said...

We like these pots to. Here at SweetCornOrganicNursery.com we also like the organic pots made from compressed mulch. We find that when growing organic tomato seeds and other vegetable seeds, these organic pots yield the best results.

makhappy522 said...

I already have onion and leek sprouts that are about a week old! This is the earliest I have started. Will probably start Lettuce in 2 weeks!

fer said...

For a moment I thought those were chocolates. Good luck with your planting

Anonymous said...

Nice! At first glance I thought you had made chocolate. But no you are getting prepared for spring and probably a little tired of the snow.