Tuesday, June 21, 2011

my parents garden

mom and dad's garden 131 fennel
mom and dad's garden 129 mom and dad's garden 134
mom and dad's garden 147 mom and dad's garden 138
mom and dad's garden 153 mom and dad's garden 142 arugula flowers

On Father's Day, I visited my parents and helped a bit in their garden. My dad hoed the tomatoes and planted beans, I pulled some garlic and labeled plants I gave them earlier in the spring. I also planted nasturtiums and giant sunflower seeds here and there. They have been picking lettuce, spinach, and arugula all spring. They have nice fennel, peas, red cabbage, napa cabbage, beets, and celery coming along. Also tomatoes, peppers, basil, and cucumbers. Arugula and bok choy have gone to seed, with flowers adding color and attracting beneficial insects.

mom and dad's garden 155
mom and dad's garden 154

My dad planted a couple of my giant pumpkin plants in the middle of his front yard. They will cover a newly installed meter and have LOTS of room to sprawl over the grass. This variety is reputed to produce several 100 pound pumpkins per plant. Cool!

mom and dad's garden 159

12 comments:

Marian(LondonUK) said...

I look forward to seeing those Pumpkins in Autumn. It should be a fantastic display!
(Marian LondonUK)

Hopes Handcrafts said...

oh..I am so jealous LOL! Roll on spring time!

QueenStina said...

Wow it looks great!


Happy Gardening,
-Kristina K.

Urban Farm Wife

Anonymous said...

I've thought about growing Giant Atlantic pumpkin but I would have no idea how to deal with a giant pumpkin once it's ready.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful little syrphid fly on the yellow bok choy flower. Very beneficial!

Martin and Amy said...

Fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I had a A-ha moment when I saw the picture of the pink pea flowers. I saw on a hill behind a bowling alley packing lot ,what I thought were peas , but question the pink flowers. My peas had white flowers.There are loads of them growing up the hill .They must have self seeded,a random pattern up and down the hill,mix in with the weeds. Free peas !!! , thanks , Best wishes Roxy

Mark Willis said...

Did you learn your gardening skills from your parents? I find that gardening is a love / passion that often gets handed-down through the generations.

Marie said...

I am interested that your dad planted pumpkins in the lawn. How will that work when the plant grows? Will he mow around it? Will the grass interfere with the growth of the fruit, particularly as it's left unchecked inside the vining once it starts?

I am so happ to hear you say you have never had melons before. Me, neither. I have a few tentative melon plants that have set this year, and I sowed about 20 seeds. Admittedly they were older so I thought I had nothing to lose. Only one looks relatively vigorous. The rest, pretty anemic.

Also interesting to see when we both seem to be doing well with the same things we are planting and not well with others, when we plant the same things.

This year I have peas going crazy for the first time. Flowers and pods everywhere. Cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower also looking very good so far.

Having a hard time with cucumbers! Can't seem to get a vigorous plant going although I have several small ones. I'm hoping the rains yesterday and today plus some sunshine soon will make some difference.

I'm having great luck with lettuce which I am growing from seed gathered last year. I've mostly scratched up places I have ended up not planting or where things didn't come up, and I have scattered some seed. It comes up as it will and I hope I have harvests all summer.

Just planted some beans for the first time once I realized all the melon seeds weren't coming up and I knew I had trellising.

If you ever get the chance to score some damaged chain link fencing somewhere, try it. It is soooo great for trellising.

Next time you are in B-town if you want some chicken manure and shavings to compost or some fresh eggs just post and I'll leave some in my driveway for you to pick up.

kathy said...

Yes, I did learn to garden from my parents! They are good teachers.

kathy said...

Marie,

Pumpkins do great sprawling out over a lawn. My dad always plants then at the edge of his garden. As the vine grows he mows a round it.

Your garden sounds great!!

Plumbing said...

My grandmother loves plants and veggies and this keeps her healthy. For sure if she this kind of garden she will be very happy.