Tuesday, July 26, 2011

garden notes

I noticed today the the squash stem borers are killing the giant pumpkin in the cold frame. It looks like it won't last much longer. I will try to remember not to grow squashes of any type in my yard as this is what usually happens.

The parasitic wasps I ordered for the Mexican bean beetles and corn ear worms are both back ordered. I'll be waiting weeks til they are available. By then, probably too late. Oh well. I will try to remember to pre-order next year.

Today I harvested cherry tomatoes, lettuce and cucumbers. And I'm making a squash casserole with my garden zucchini and garlic, and using up the last of my store bought potatoes.

I saw lots of tiny melons starting to set at my community plot the other day. I look forward to watching them grow.

Eggplants are sizing up and basil is taking off.

My beans that the rabbit trimmed are regrowing and seem like they will recover.

I was asked "What is that big yellow thing?" growing in my community plot. I'm wondering too. I started 6 or 8 different types of winter squash and pumpkins and planted them in a patch, but it doesn't look like any of them. I'm wondering if I mixed up a label.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

My squash is suffering from the heat and lack of rain. I love that you have something growing your garden that you can't identify. I've done that! How will you know when it's ready?

Vanessa said...

Squash vine borers, powdery mildew and the heat have all taken their toll on my zucchini and summer squash. Tomorrow I am going to pull them.

Roberta said...

Have you tried BT for squash borers? I used it last year with some success but it's hard to beat those borers. They have all day to bore and I considerably less time than that to combat them.

ValHalla said...

I shouldn't speak too soon because I only have one squash on three vines, but the ol' cut the borer out and bury the stem procedure seems to be working for me.

Brenda said...

Your garden looks like it is thriving in spite of the bugs and the bunnies. We are eating cherry tomatoes now too. Isn't the flavor of a homegrown tomato wonderful? We don't have to worry about bunnies getting into our garden. I guess we are lucky.

Margaret said...

Is there anything that can be done about the squash stem borers. I think I have them in my Japanese pumpkins (kabocha). They work fast.