Saturday, July 23, 2011

harvests

harvest 125
harvest 087 harvest 040
harvest 022 fava beans

These are photos of my harvests this past week.

Can't say what I've enjoyed most. I have my first tomatoes - a cherry (variety Prince) given to me and raised by Diane (Thanks Diane!). The new potatoes are fantastic, fried, sauteed or boiled. And the zucchini are growing amazingly fast, as usual for zucchini. Nice cukes, lots of lettuce and a big fava bean harvest. I peeled all the favas, blanched and froze some and made a nice dinner out of the rest. I sauteed then with garden fennel and garlic. Yummy.

4 comments:

Donald said...

I love potatoe`s. Red,White and Sweet. This heat wave got my Sweet Potaotes so Happy.

Marian(LondonUK) said...

Yum, Yum, Yum. Hoping that our Tomatoes will colour up, weather permitting. We are enjoying fresh dug potatoes Lady Christl and Orla, runner beans; turnips; swede; beets;lettuce, herbs and of course courgettes of various colour and shapes. Your casserole is now a firm favourite and a winner,lovely!
Marian (London UK)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful harvest!

Anonymous said...

Really great blog and harvest! I started my first 'garden' on my balcony (we just recently moved to Austria). I planted mostly herbs (chives, thyme, rosemary, & basil), a cherry tomato plant, a bell pepper plant, and a jalapeno plant all in containers. As we face the south, we get good sun and there's a small partition that protects the tomatoes and peppers on windy days.
Honestly, I was just hoping to get them to not die on me but they exceeding my expectations and blossomed. I must have acted like an overprotective mother because I faithfully watered them every morning, inspected them twice a day for everything, poured over endless resources on growing and harvesting, but I was so excited watching the fruit grow and the colors change. This week, I harvested my first tomatoes and they were incredibly sweet! I'm so very proud and my husband has agreed to we should buy more plants so we can have a harvest every week. Now, I'm looking forward to buying our house and planting a real garden in our backyard so I can enjoy the feeling of harvesting our food fresh from our garden.
Your blog is a great inspiration and resource and I look forward to continuing to read and learn. Thank you.