Monday, August 01, 2011

fall sowing

fall sowing

I sowed a tray of seeds today. A few experiments. Since my carrots and parsnips didn't sprout well this spring from direct seeding in the garden, I'm trying seeding in pots for the first time. They need constant moisture and it was dry this spring/summer, and I didn't keep up with irrigation. Don't know if they do well being transplanted. I think I can dig a deep hole and line up the root so I get a straight root.

Carrots, Bolero and Mokum
Parsnips,
Beets, Chiogga, Lutz, and Detroit White
Greens, mixed
Broccoli
Escarole, Frissee
Cauliflower
Spinach
Winter radish
Fennel


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never tried it, but I've read of gardeners sowing carrots and parsnips on tp roll tubes. Supposedly this allows for better transplanting.

Jaime said...

Interesting...are the parsnips for this year or next spring? I thought I had missed the boat on fall planting, but I may still try to get my turnips and beets in before. I still have time for radishes and another round of Kale.

Marian(LondonUK) said...

Go for it, the Parsnips we seeded into the soil in April took forever to come up. Thinking they had failed (some popped up eventually) I seeded some in toilet roll tubes and planted end of May they are coming on strong. May even try some more myself, planting them in modules in good seed soil, may get Parsnips into March perhaps??
Marian (London UK)

kathy said...

Yes, parsnips are for spring - when they will be sweet after the winter. But I have not planted then in the fall before and am just experimenting.