Wednesday, November 07, 2012

snow .....

snow on marigold 057 snow on kale 042 snow on gnome 049 snow on hydrangea flowers 037
The wind is coming out of the northeast again and this time we have fluffy white snow coming down. Snow is gathering on my unraked yard and on trees still holding their leaves. Snow on pumpkins with the squirrels tunneling in to eat the seeds. Snow on fall roses and yellow marigolds, kale and Brussels sprouts.

Yesterday was the first hard frost in the Boston suburbs. My dahlia turned black and marigolds wilted back. My sheltered geranium and rose are still blooming. I brought my Meyers lemon inside to overwinter in the living room.

It seems that winter is here.

Midnight: 3 or 4 inches of snow have fallen by now. My husband put snow tires on his bicycle tonight and he got out my car scraper for me. Plows are scraping the roads now and its only early November!

2 comments:

icebear said...

We got a few inches too in south-central Maine. Now its turned to rain, so its all slushy out there. We've had a number of frosts already though. The only thing still pretty was my purple flowering kale.

M said...

Brrr, the weather is so topsy-turvey! Some of the southern counties here woke up to snow last Sunday (Dorset, Wiltshire, Somerset) 3 inches without warning. First weekend of November! Goodness.
Lovely photographs Kathy. Winter Martini on the cards?
Marian (LondonUK)