Monday, January 28, 2013

seed catalogs

Copy of 003
I have a stack of catalogs and have been reading through them all. They're as good as a nice novel! Its exciting that there is so much to plan.

I've been reading the pages on organic pest control in Johnny's catalog. I've circled a bunch of onion and leek varieties the Fedco catalog. And I've circled eggplants, peppers and a lovely pink sweet pea in the Cook's catalog.

The first seeds I plant are always onions, leeks and celeries. I used my planting calendar tool to print out a list of the dates to start these. It says I should start planting on Feb 22. I am thinking I will start a few 6-packs a bit early. I bought the last 3 planting trays from last season at my local hardware store this weekend, as well as some 6-pack inserts, so I am all set. Maybe today? Why not.....

Copy of 009

8 comments:

wvhiker said...

Why not is right! I already started a bunch of stuff just to put the winter dull drums away. Oddly enough though, I only received one catalog this year. And sad to say I've read through it several times :)

icebear said...

Congrats on your new partnership with Vegetable Gardening on FB!

Anonymous said...

Wow, the planting is already getting started eh? I'm not sure I'm quite ready yet. I might have to stick with summer plants to allow for procrastination.

kathy said...

What is a partnership with Vegetable Gardening on FB? Did I miss something?

kathy said...

I suppose "working partnership" means they'd like a link swap??? It is a very nice site. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Jeff, Gardener in Chief said...

Have you ever heard of Hudson Valley Seed Library? I fell in love with their seed packets and then learned about their heirloom seed production in Hudson, NY. Starting my first vegetable garden and just learning about seed sources. Thanks for sharing your sources.

Jeff, hamptonsgarden.com

Jeff, Gardener in Chief said...

Have you ever heard of Hudson Valley Seed Library? I fell in love with their seed packets and then learned about their heirloom seed production in Hudson, NY. Starting my first vegetable garden and just learning about seed sources. Thanks for sharing your sources.

Jeff, hamptonsgarden.com

Pest Control Oregon said...

That will be a great partnership we think.