Thursday, March 28, 2013

not so common raven

Copy of 003 Copy of 004 Copy of 005 Copy of 006 I got some better photos of the enormous black bird the I saw last week near the Gardens. I think it must be a Common Raven. Not so common here near Boston! Its the first time I've ever seen one here. Bird books say it is never here. Probably just passing as it's that time of year and I haven't seen it since.

From Cornell Bird Site:
"Not just large but massive, with a thick neck, shaggy throat feathers, and a Bowie knife of a beak. In flight, ravens have long, wedge-shaped tails. They're more slender than crows, with longer, narrower wings, and longer, thinner “fingers” at the wingtips. Common Ravens are entirely black, right down to the legs, eyes, and beak."

2 comments:

Sar said...

Definitely a raven. You can tell by the distinctive shape of its beak. We have them north of Toronto in "cottage country" so he's probably just passin' through!

Lara said...

Yes, a raven! I saw my first ravens when I moved to northern Arizona...huge beautiful birds, but also a bit intimidating when they stare you down!