Sunday, March 10, 2013

garden aerial view

Copy of 005 I was talking with my brother yesterday. He's looking forward to planting his garden. We were noticing that St Patrick's Day is only ONE week away now! That's when I planted my first seeds last year. We are wondering if there's any chance we can plant that soon this year.

I remember last year on a 70*F day in mid March I turned in a load of compost into my parents garden in northeastern Mass (mostly my son did the spreading and turning) and we planted seeds for them. We planted beets, lettuce, arugula, carrots and lots of peas. The lettuce didn't do so well, but all the others did great.

I'm hoping our soil isn't frozen very deep now and that the snow will melt from the warm spots this week. I'm getting my seeds ready - just in case. I have some packets of arugula, radish, carrots, beets, Chinese celery, spinach and peas ready to go. Even though its probably wishful thinking.

3 comments:

pam_chesbay said...

Hi Kathy: Yes, this winter has been much colder than usual. I hope this storm is the last until next fall or winter. Our yard flooded again, 3d time in 6 months.

I'm trying to make a garden design with PowerPoint. Haven't been able to get all beds on one page.
Looked for a tutorial on internet. When I use Google for find "vegetable garden design PPT," Skippy's garden designs pop up first. Did you use a tutorial or figure out how to do this on your own? I'm ready to get out the graph paper!

Greg said...

Amazing that you got more snow this weekend. It was comfortable in Maryland with highs right around 60.

Sadly, didn't have time to get my snow peas in at the plot.

kathy said...

PowerPoint is a method to use if you are already familiar with using this software. No point to learning it just for a garden design.

Graph paper works great.

You can also try: Google SketchUp or Gliffy.

Please let us know any other ideas for garden planning.