Thursday, March 07, 2013

one last snow storm

Six inches of snow falling tonight! I'm thinking it's probably our last snow storm of the season. Sure has been a snowy winter - too cold and dark and long and snowy. But today's snow is falling on ground that has started to thaw. Snow drops are blooming, willow catkins are out, geese are paired up, hawks are defending their territories, chickadees are singing their spring songs. Next week temperatures are predicted to go into the 50's. Maybe I'll be able to brush the snow off my cold frame and do some more gardening. I am hopeful that spring is just around the corner.

My gardening plans - tomorrow I'm planting broccoli, lettuce, and eggplants. Indoors under light, but I am looking forward to it. And I'm keeping an eye on my garden because St Patty's day, i.e. pea planting day, is only 2 weeks away!

6 comments:

Marian (LondonUK) said...

Hi Kathy, yes I saw that more snow was making its way toward you. It's a misty chilly old morning in London town. Such a contrast to last Sunday when I caught the sun on my neck at the Lottie! I have started to seed cabbage/cauliflower/broccoli/tomatoes indoors and our potatoes are chitting in the garage. Because of the late blight last year we are doing Sarpo Mira which should be more resistant, haven't tasted them though, so hope they are good! Keep warm and don't loose Skippy in the snow!
Marian (LondonUK)

icebear said...

We only got a dusting up here, which is great. We still have 2 and 3 foot drifts here and there, but Saturday and most of Sunday are supposed to be bright and on the warm side, so i anticipate a bit of melting.

My beach plum seedlings are buried under a 3 foot drift, i hope they aren't bent over or snapped!

kathy said...

We got about 16 inches I think.... Lots of extra snow around here. Skippy didn't even want to go for a walk today. I shoveled for hours.... But it's done now. Didn't get to plant those seeds yet but it's top of my plan for tomorrow.

kathy said...

Another think on my list to do tomorrow is to clear the snow off my cold frame. It's reinforced well, but I don't want to risk it too long. It was OK today.

Earthly Worm said...

Thanks for fixing the fall planting schedule! And thank you for providing it... really an indispensable tool.

Nicky Altieri said...

We had 6 inches of snow here in Tehachapi, California. Beans, rapini, and even some tomatoes get their starts tomorrow inside. Peas in the ground midweek. Yay! Spring is close. Still must be careful as frost is still a threat until June. Cool season veggies are starting.
Nick Altieri