Sunday, July 28, 2013

broccoli harvest

broccoli harvest 122 My broccoli seemed to grow full sized heads almost overnight. Just a few days ago (it seems) the heads started to form. Little florets hidden in the center of the plant. And now - all of a sudden - I have three big heads! I harvested these yesterday. We ate one of the heads at dinner last night. I cut it into long section, stir fried briefly in a little leftover bacon fat with garlic, ginger root and a chili pepper, then added water and steamed just until tender. Yummy.

5 comments:

Cary said...

Congratulations! Love your stir fry method. Will definitely add ginger root to my next stir fry. Thanks for the great idea!

Terri Moore said...

Hi Kathy,

Love your blog! I'm curious where you plant your broccoli? My garden gets a lot of sun & broccoli just doesn't seem to do very well( it never heads). It's our favorite veggie so I'm determined to get it to grow somehow. Thanks!

Terri Moore said...

Hi Kathy, have been following you wonderful blog now for a few years. I'm curious where in your garden do you plant your broccoli? My garden gets a lot of sun & sometime in mid to late July all of my broccoli flowered without any obvious heads. It's happened every year so I'm looking for something new to try. Thanks!

kathy said...

I am a big fan of ginger root. It goes so well with garlic. Yum!!

kathy said...

Terri,

I have grown broccoli for about 5 years now. One of the problems I run into is that it can "button" That means it forms a small head that can go to flower without you noticing a big head of broccoli.

This happens when the weather goes from cool to hot too fast. It certainty did that this year.

I have had buttoning when I plant winter broccoli in my cold frame. The cold frame keeps the plants warm in the winter, but then it gets them too hot in the spring.

Next year, I want to remember to transplant the broccoli out to an open spot as soon as the ground is workable.

I hope this observation gives you some ideas about your flowering broccoli.

Kathy