Sunday, November 10, 2013

planting garlic

Copy of photo 13 I was late to plant, but finally planted 75 cloves of garlic. Less than my usual 100 cloves, but all were very big and I spaced them so they used the whole bed that I usually use for 100 cloves. The variety is mostly "Music", a second year planting.

I planted the garlic in my community plot. I've decided to keep my plot another year. Next year, I'll work on getting my new home garden going, but since the soil is so hard, that will take some time.

Copy of photo 24 Copy of photo 14 Copy of photo 25

1 comment:

Judy Otto said...

Kathy, I'm sure you already know this, but just in case: a good way to loosen up that soil is to layer stuff on top over the winter and maybe for a while longer. You must have tons of leaves on your new property that you can put down on the new garden area, then food waste, more leaves, maybe horse manure, etc. but then YOU have chicken manure to use! I used to use cardboard for the first layer, but that takes longer to degrade.

With this method I never had to dig or remove grass and weeds. That was all done by the layers. Good luck and let us know how it's going.