Thursday, July 31, 2014

fall planting

freshly planted fall seeds I'm about a month late, but I wanted to see if I can get some fall crops. I have lots of space where my peas, garlic and onions were. And my potatoes will be coming out soon. I planted:
Lettuce, Skyphos
Lettuce, Prizehead
Lettuce, Oakleaf
Lettuce, Valentine Red Mix (Botanical Interests)
Lettuce, Italienisher
Lettuce, Victoria Butterhead
Lettuce, Green Romaine
Lettuce, Red Romaine
Brussels's Sprouts
Win-Win Choi
Beets, Merlin
Beets, Blankoma
Spinach, Bloomsdale Long Standing
Escarole, Tres Fine
Escarole, Batavian
Arugula
Fall Greens Mix (Sand Hill Preservation)

With a harvest time of 105 days, its pretty late to try planting Brussels's Sprouts. I've done this before it seems and end up with little sprouts that are almost ready by Thanksgiving, but ... not. Everything else has a shorter time to harvest:
bok choi: 52 days
beets: 48-55 days
spinach: 48 days
escarole, 42-90 days
lettuce: 42-48 days
mixed greens: 21 days

6 comments:

Amy said...

Are all of these planted from seed, including the sprouts?

Dana K said...

This is the first year I've tried growing potatoes so I'm curious when you say your potatoes will be coming out soon. Have your plants died back or has it been X number of days since you planted them. Thanks!

kathy said...

Yes. All from seed. even the Brussels sprouts. Do you think they're too late?

Gabriel T. said...

Nice info ! I didn't knew the harvest time of these vegetables.

kathy said...

Someone asked about what it means that "the potatoes will be coming out soon" I don't know where that comment went. ooops - i must have deleted it....

Anyway, my potato plants are gradually turning yellow and brown. I cut them off when they do.

The potatoes can be dug anytime after about 2 weeks after the plants finish flowering (about a month ago). They are mostly grown then, and are full grown when the plants die back (or are cut off).

Often I dig potatoes as soon as I can, but this year, I've waited. I'll start digging soon, in beds where the plants have died back. I'll probably get a few of the beds cleared out in time to plant with fall crops.

kathy said...

BTW Gabriel, this info is from the back of the seed packages.