Monday, January 19, 2015

chicken coop with a glass covered run

I think this is the reason my chickens are laying nearly an egg a day in the coldest and darkest days of winter. Its my husband's invention and creation.

glass roofed chicken run IMG_1378 During our house renovation, we needed up with two unneeded large panes of glass. A wood frame was designed to fit these panes. The panes and heavy and weren't easy to hoist up onto the frame. I love the result! Can't say I'm hearing any complains from the hens.

coop renovation IMG_2642coop renovation IMG_2641 coop renovation IMG_2643coop renovation IMG_2645 In this last picture, snow has covered the roof. We clear this with a big ice scraper and the hens get their sunlight back. And we get out eggs. If need be, we'd lower the blue tarp sides in a blizzard. No need to yet, but I'm sure there will be.

glass topped coop IMG_2704

6 comments:

Berta said...

Very nice hen house!

Anonymous said...

wow - that is really nice!!

Anonymous said...

lucky hens!

Anonymous said...

Storm coming, better protect those hens!

kathy said...

Yes! 2 to 3 feet of snow! I'm heading out soon to batten down the hen house. The coop is nice and snug. The run has the glass top and tarps that roll down on the sides. I'll top off their food and water and plugin their heat bulb in the coop.

Unknown said...

Such a great idea! We were thinking of doing something along these lines but having the laying house in the "roof" of our heated dog kennel. It would always be comfortable and warm inside!