Sunday, March 22, 2015

looking back

I wanted to see how different our weather is from previous years:

2009, Was a very cold and snowy winter. Snow was gone in most areas and my soil was workable by March 15. 2010, I planted peas on March 17, nice workable soil, no sign of snow.
2011, All of our snow melted the week of March 13 and by March 20 the soil was workable, crocuses, bluebirds, all that...
2012, My peas were planted on March 17 and UP on March 28, the last snow melted the first week of March.
2013, Looks like that year had a late start. On March 25, the soil was workable but snow covered, so I turned the snow under to plant my peas.
2014, And last year was a chilly spring after a cold and snowy winter. The snow wasn't really gone until March 26. I didn't plant my peas til mid-April, mostly because we were constructing our new garden. As I remember though, it was such a chilly spring that the peas did really well even though planted so late.
2015, Still a foot of snow on the ground on March 22, temps going down to 10*F tonight. Oh well...

3 comments:

Daphne Gould said...

For me it was:
2014 April 5th (but only half the bed as the other half was still frozen)
2013 March 27th
2012 February 22nd
2011 April 2nd
2010 March 19th
2009 March 26th

So the end of March is probably the most "normal", but it really does vary a lot. I think this year will be the lastest year yet. It also looks like I plant a couple days later than you usually. Except 2012 which was really so warm I was willing to risk some seed (I had lots) and put them in since I could work the ground. It paid off that year as it was the year without winter.

kathy said...

Thanks Daphne!!!

Yes, I was at a really sheltered location and could often get the peas in really early.

Ah yes, 2012 - the year without winter...

Some years, the garden doesn't get priority and other events sidetrack me from ultra early pea planting so the date I plant doesn't always reflect the weather.

m said...

I am not disciplined enough to keep planting records, although I do often ask myself, "I am sure these went in earlier than this last year". I should adopt this and then I can answer my own question!
Marian (LondonUK)