Monday, April 27, 2015

checking my hives after 1 week

Two hives, two queens. I opened up my hives a week after installing my packages (new bees) to check on them today. I was relieved that I was able to identify queens. I ordered two marked queens, but one had lost her marker and I was surprised to see her looking plain but different from all the rest.

My bees are so sweet and calm. I have spent a lot of time watching them, close up and at a distance, and no stings (yet). I found I cannot trigger my cell phone camera button with my bee gloves on, so I work one handed - one glove on one off and can take pictures. Aren't they beautiful!!

bees IMG_1214bees IMG_1218 bee queen 2 IMG_1211bbees IMG_1192 bees IMG_1219 bees IMG_1200

12 comments:

Connie Murray said...

Very exciting! I am waiting for the wild orchard bees to return to my garden. I drilled some new blocks for them. But it was very cold winter and so far a cool spring. Hope they return soon!

David said...

I was looking at the pictures and was thinking "I saw a marked queen why does the queen no longer have a spot?" and then realized I was looking at different hives. :) They look great though I am surprised that you already have drones. Must have been some of the first eggs she laid. (See the 5th picture on the edge of the frame those two large bees with huge eyes). Have fun.

BTW I usually get stung once a year. This year the swelling lasted 24 hours and in 48 hours you couldn't tell a thing. Yeah for improving the immune system. (My first sting lasted about 3 or 4 days before subsiding).

EmsyDoodle said...

Great pictures of the colony can't wait to see more and read more on their progress.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful girls!

Calvin Kent said...

Absolutely wonderful! Such pics! I'm so impressed, and enjoy this photo. Have a nice week.

Carol W said...

Thats so cool!
And they're already starting to fill the hive with wax. That's so great.

Amy said...

Wow! Good luck with your new bees. I would love to have my own beehive someday.

Marian (LondonUK) said...

Hi Kathy, they are wonderful. Bet you can't wait for the honey either. Two fellows at the Lottie have bees, so we are able to purchase East London Honey, fantastic!
Marian(LondonUK)

blueberry1946 said...

Yes, your bees surely are beautiful! I am fascinated

kathy said...

If there are drones at this point, they must have come with the package (or its an illusion from the camera lens). I couldn't even see any eggs here, though from my following check, there must have been eggs as there were larvae and capped brood one week later.

Rebecca said...

this is wonderful. i will recommend this blog to a colleague researcher whose main interest is bees.

Githinji said...

am a big fun of honey, and of late i have known of a product called propolis which am told its good with bronchitis and asthma which am going to try. but near a bee hive......is a no go zone for me.