Wednesday, October 07, 2015

frost?

We're creeping toward our average first frost date... It would normally be October 10 and was right on schedule last year. This year, it looks like we have at least a week to go. That's good. I want to get my winter bed covers in place before we get too cold. I'm planning to dig out around the bed and run hardware cloth 6 inches down to keep the voles out. Also planning to order a bottle of castor oil to soak the soil at the edges of the bed. Double protection - after the disaster last year.

2 comments:

KK said...

Is it too late to plant things for a winter garden? (Also in Belmont.) I broke my knee this summer and have had to stay out of the garden... but I'm finally feeling better enough to do some work. Hoping to salvage SOMETHING from this year.
-KK

kathy said...

Well it's pretty late. The day length is reducing fast and we have one month left when plants will grow if cold-protected, then two months of no growth. If you plant seeds now, you should get some seedlings this month. Cold protect them, and maybe they'll survive to give you a fast start in the spring. I did that one year with spinach and it was fantastic in March and Aoril. I'd suggest seeding spinach, arugula, escarole. Maybe chard and kale. A lot depends on how cold the winter gets and how well you can protect. Good luck

Maybe someone else has other ideas for you too