Thursday, March 01, 2018

newly planted seedlings in winter tunnel

winter tunnel IMG_1757

I planted my seedlings out into my empty winter tunnel last weekend. They look very happy out there. I have a few more to plant out and will set up another smaller tunnel. But I'm waiting until after The Big Storm coming tomorrow.

Everyone is talking about the Storm here. 2 inches of rain and then 5 inches of heavy wet snow are predicted with high winds and power outages. I'm glad I don't need to worry about the coastal flooding in my area, because that's supposed to be really bad. Today and yesterday have been beautiful springlike days in the 60's. The dogs and I have been out enjoying it as much as we can. I suppose tomorrow will be a day to stay inside and take care of my little onion sprouts.

7 comments:

Phuong said...

Your spinach and onion look fantastic, they really must like your grow system. I've barely begun with my seed starting.

Anonymous said...

3-6 inches of snow here outside of Albany, NY

Anonymous said...

do you start your spinach on a heat mat?

Anonymous said...

Got about a foot of heavy snow here in Colonie, NY near Albany

kathy said...

I did not use a heat mat for my spinach. I left the trays in the house (about 70F) until they sprouted (mostly so I could watch them come up), then they went onto my plant shelves under lights in a room set for 68F.

Spinach likes it cool. Optimum germination is 68F, but you'll get good germination down to 60F or so. Germination drops of quickly as temperature goes up to about 75F.

Unknown said...

Kathy, are you using 6ml or 4ml clear plastic sheeting? Thanks. Milena

kathy said...

Milena, it’s 6ml greenhouse sheeting. I think from Greenhouse Megastore.